ENTRY ARCHIVE

Friday, November 11, 2011

Animal Songs


[Left: Goat illustration by Carla Sonheim]

So... Last year I made something for One Day On Earth 10.10.10. Something I'm quite proud of. It was well received by the filmmakers and they expressed an interest in using my footage in their final documentary. I hope it makes the final cut! It would be a really nice honor. They are running the campaign again this year, and I suppose they have another opportunity for 12.12.12. Then it's going to be a long, long time before they can do it again. You can watch my 10.10.10 entry here:



I didn't think I was going to make something this year, but a strange convergence happened:

1. I was thinking I needed a haircut and a song popped into my head. It's called Turkey Vulture. It features Will Oldham singing before Palace, before Bonnie Prince Billy, before a lot of things. It was also a collaboration from Bill Callahan from Smog. The 7" is under the name The Sundowners and is called "Goat Songs". It possesses all the rawness, urgency, carelessness, irreverence, attitude, sincerity, and naivety that drew me to Will Oldham's music. I loved it so much then, I still do now. That was probably a dozen years ago. Things aren't the same. He doesn't shock me, strike me.... fill me like he used to. [Right: 7" sleeve for The Sundowners "Goat Songs" EP]



2. By incredible coincidence two turkey vultures were eating a dead opossum outside my door this morning. Wild, man. Those things are massive. I took footage. Forgive the wonkiness. I was running and used a telephoto lens so it's all warbly and messy. But it still gives you an opportunity to look that guy in the eyes. Do it. Look him in the eyes. What do you see?

3. I wanted to do a silly dance today. {I needed to get my nervous energies out before the start of the night's performance of The Last Days of Judas Iscariot}

4. I thought.... "Maybe I should quickly film something in the spirit of One Day On Earth 11.11.11.

5. I wanted to share these strange songs and images with YOU!

So here is probably the oddest thing I have ever put online:

Animal Songs



WATCH HD VERSION HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment