ENTRY ARCHIVE

Sunday, July 11, 2010

MINICONCEPTDOC #44: JAUNT

---
Juni and I went on a short trip to get some eats, a JAUNT if you will. We drove via the scenic route to take in some fresh air. When I looked in the rear view mirror, I saw what I can only describe as the purest representation of youth. It was a spirit that fully captured "freeness" with nary a care in the world. It was coolness, examination, absent of worry and anxiety.

I wanted to be in that place. But, such is the adult world, there is no going back, no matter how hard we try. One may come close, but it is only a facsimile. Sometimes that's good enough, other times it's not even close.

You may think this clip is a bit long, self-indulgent... But I wanted to be in that moment every second I could. I wanted to be a kid again. During that original JAUNT, I didn't have my camera with me. Plus, I was driving, and that's just unsafe, man.

So the next day, when there was cause for the whole family to be in the car, I brought my camera in the hopes of capturing what it was I saw in Juni's face as she stared out the window and let the wind take her somewhere not on this earth. Upon review, I think I was able to capture that.

As I stared at her that first and second time, a song popped into my head. It seemed so perfect. The song was Bob Dylan's "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine" from his 1968 album John Wesley Harding. You can listen to a clip of that here.

However, it wasn't Dylan's voice I heard. It was a recent cover by the Dirty Projectors. There's something about their version that is more dreamy, more airy than the original. With the song, the moment was complete. For me anyway...

Come ride with us:



LARGER VERSION AVAILABLE AT MINICONCEPTDOCS CHANNEL, HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment